Sunday, March 30, 2008

Field Pussy Toes

Yep, I said Field Pussy Toes (Antennaria.)
Notice the pretty, silvery spot on the ground in the picture to the left? We have them in a couple of places around our yard and in the Spring they send up little flowers. I discovered their name online last year, but haven't been able to learn much else.

As bad as thepicture below is, hopefully it will at least illustrate why they got their name. I promise, I'll get a new camera one day...



Here's what I know:


They're considered either a wildflower or a weed depending on your point of view. I like them!

Some varieties are sold in nurseries. There's a pretty rosy variety; unfortunately ours isn't one of those.

They like full sun and well-drained, dry soil.

Is?/was? a medicinal herb. It looks like it was some kind of mood enhancer a long time ago and is now part of some herbal remedies.

No comments: