Sunday, April 6, 2008

Plans

This won't come as a surprise to most who know me, but I hate the cold. Seriously hate it. I spend most of my off-time in the winter, on my couch, under a blanket, the doors to my living room closed with the heater on. Ever seen a made for TV movie where a person caught in a s nowstorm fights against all odds and overcomes great obstacles to find their way back to civilization and only loses a toe or two in the process? If that ever happens to me, just find my car, I'll be frozen to death inside.

So even on what most would consider "warm winter days" the only gardening in my life comes from books, catalogs and tv. However, as an obsessive planner I usually make good use of the time. Here's a taste of what I've cooked up for this year; in order of priority because as you'll see it's too much to get done this season and even the next few years.

The Kitchen Garden
We put the fence up last Fall (I know, I know pictures are forthcoming), but still have to do the gate (next week!) Besides that I need to plant, plant, plant!

The Front Bed
Last year, I planted Coreopsis 'Golden Showers' and Geranium 'New Hampshire' in between the liriope and it occured to me this winter that the impact of mass planting is sorely missing. So I've decided to buy more of the above, leaving those I planted last year in place, but group the extras around them in waves that weave around the lirope back and forth to the brick sidewalk.

The Pond
I loved my 3 liatris last year so I'm going to order more. After that more hummingbird, butterfly plants.

The Patio Beds
I've definitely decided on a white and silver theme in the three beds immediately surrounding the patio. That means moving much of what's currently in the beds to another location. The pink miniature roses get to stay because I suspect the only reason they're still alive is because the bricks and their raised planter have created a little microclimate. The lavenders can stay as well and perhaps the santolina. I don't mind looking at it as long as I don't have to smell it!

As far as what's going: the beautiful 'Miss Jessie' mums (possibly around the driveway, or since I love the way they sprawl and droop, the lower patio bed), the gorgeous nameless salvia from our old house (in the driveway bed, just to the right when you enter the patio), the asiatic lilies (maybe the lower patio bed too) and finally, even though they're technically white the daisies. I don't think I mentioned last year how very unimpressed I am by them. The flowers are quaint and pretty enough, but they brown quickly and then there are, perched atop their stems, brown and ugly. They were the biggest catalyst for my getting the cutting garden in last Fall; once I move them there I can cut them for the house before they brown. I know what you're thinking; I could do that where they are now, but that would be taking the white out of the white garden!
The Driveway Bed
All winter I drove past this inherited bed of dormant spirea and roses of this bed on my way into the garage. It offered no hope of Spring and absolutely no beauty. My plan is to move the spirea around the cutting garden (surprise! I haven't mentioned this one yet), give the pink tea roses away (Caroline? Martha?) and replace them with camellias. Martha has been telling me how lovely hers is and the idea of coming home to something that is beautiful and blooming in the freezing cold excites me. In between I'll plant some perennials for year round interest. and of course, the Sweet Autumn clematis gets to stay. Of course, my research also indicates that deer like camellias so this could be a very bad idea...

The Cutting Garden
I created the beds so quickly as a dumping ground for the daisies and some other things. I planted some poppy and cleome seeds last Fall and have lots more seeds to plant as well. Ultimately, I'd like to continue it and turn the area behind it into a meadow garden.

The woods at the top of the hill

A couple of weekends ago I used my brush cutter and thinned the area to the left of the house one tank of gas worth. That's how I use the brush cutter. I go flat out, because I have trouble starting it, until it dies due to lack of gas. After that, I usually can't use my arms properly for an hour or two, but I figure eventually my arms will get stronger and that will stop. Plus there are few things more amusing than trying to drink a glass of water with your hands and them shaking so badly most of is spilled.

On Monday, my Dad is bringing his chainsaw over and we're going to play with our chainsaws removing some of the saplings that are too big for the brush cutter. Don't worry, we're leaving some dead tress for the animals and the fully established tress as well. Once all of that is done, I would like to slowly incorporate some pretty native trees, shrubs and even plants.

The Lower Patio Bed

It slopes. Underneath the cedars by the driveway they put a series of large rocks in the middle of the bed. I can't imagine why. They're mostly buried now under vinca and weeds; my plan is to move them to build up the front of this bed so that it is level. Once that's done, I want to plant hummingbird and butterfly plants.

The Cedars
Currently, the stupid stones, some weeds, vinca and two beautiful dicentra. First, get at least one more dicentra. Second, find out what conditions make dicentra happy to get an idea about what else to go in there. Add some sweet woodruff, if the conditions are right, because Martha loves it and a groundcover seems appropriate under these trees.

No comments: