Thursday, July 12, 2007

Hypothesis: I Need a New Camera

I was sitting on my stoop when out of the woods across the street came a young fox, slightly larger than a cat. I watched him for a while and then noticed a doe coming out of the forest. She and the fox ignored each other and actually stood quite close. Then the buck arrived and while he seemed okay with the fox at first, he apparently changed his mind and began crowding the fox until it got the hint and headed over to our yard. It was amazing and I couldn't get any of it on film!

I knew this because the doe and the buck have been hanging out across the stree every evening for several weeks now. Occassionally, a fawn emerges from the grass as well, but usually it's just the two of them. Our dog, Archie, fierce hunter that he is, looks for them every night and just lies there gazing at them. They will occassionally, look up at him, or me if I'm out there, and then go back to grazing. They never seem bothered by Archie, but if I get too close they will stamp their feet until they've decided they can't let me get any closer and one of them, usually the buck, will give a whooping cough-like bark and away they go. So a few nights ago, thinking of the blog, I tried to take a picture of the deer and Archie watching them. This is the best of them.




and now you see the conclusion is clear: I need a new camera!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.