Sunday, August 5, 2007

Is my Garden Half Empty or Half Full?


Lately, between the deer and the drought, I've defintely been feeling all of my beds are half empty. My neighbors warned me that the deer would be devestating and discouraged me even trying. Never one to let someone else tell me I can't or shouldn't do something just because it didn't work for them, I persisted. As I watched my tomatoes and peppers be eaten again and again, I told myself that at least the herbs were all right and came up with strategies to try for next year. Nonetheless, somewhere along the line (I think when the cranesbill I planted in the spring was pulled up and devoured) I started to forget all of my positive thinking.--half empty they were!

Then, one of my neighbors came over. I was ready for her subtly crafted, "I told you so" having rehearsed my response and practiced it on my husband, but do you know what she said? "I can't believe the deer haven't eaten more of your garden, it looks great." I wasn't ready for that, I had nothing to say, but I looked around and I saw that she was right; parts of the garden were thriving. My rosemary is growing, my lemongrass is shooting skyward, my sage has never looked so good and my scented geraniums are sprawling! I can breathe a sigh of relief--half full after all!



No comments: