Sunday, August 3, 2008

Oh Bountiful Harvest

This is my largest harvest ever! I know it doesn't seem like much, but hey it's only my second summer as a vegetable gardener. The reddish-purple tomato is my first ever 'Purple Calabash;' we're each going to have a taste at dinner tonight. I've been harvesting the 'San Marzano's' for a while now, but never enough to make a meals worth. I definitely need 3 plants next year instead of 2, or should I get 4?
One of our family favorites is a roasted tomatoes recipe that I have been anxious to try with this variety. Up until now, I've only made it with canned because I haven't had enough ripened at one time! Credit for the recipe belongs to Bringing Tuscany Home by Frances Mayes.
3 28-oz cans of whole peeled tomoatoes, drained and cut in half lengthwise
1/4 cup olive oil
3 T each minced rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil
5 garlic cloves chopped
salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 200.
Arrange the tomatoes cut side up in a baking dish. Drizzle the oil and scatter herbs and garlic over them. Salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 2 hours.
We have had these mixed into a store bought pasta sauce, in a pasta salad and as a bruschetta. They're delicious everytime! If I ever get to try it with the 'San Marzano's' I'll let you know how it tastes.

No comments: