Sunday, May 18, 2008

If Rome had been built by finches...

it would have been built in a weekend!

My husband told me not to use that title, but I couldn't resist.

Last Thursday, I had a scare, our purple finch nest was gone! The only explanation I could think of was that one of our recent bad storms had blown it from its perch. My first thought was the babies. They had been getting so big they barely fit in the nest, but as far as I knew they had yet to fly. I searched, but found no sign of them. Research showed that they can leave the nest as early as 15 days; my blog showed that we saw the babies as early as 14 days before it was gone. We probably didn't see them the day they were born so I can only hope.

Saturday morning, my husband told me the parents were back and starting from scratch. We watched this weekend as the pair flew back and forth, the female's beak filled with Mike's freshly mown grass. The male empty-beaked. She would work head down, taking her time to construct carefully; he would sit on the rooftop and sing. Off they would fly again to repeat the process; her working, him singing. Occassionally, he would hop into the nest and wriggle his bottom around before flying off after her, but that seemed to be his biggest contribution to the project. That's okay though his song was beautiful and she obviously didn't need his help. The nest is beautiful without it!

No comments: