Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Another Batch of Bluebirds is on the way!


The bluebirds have just laid their 2nd clutch of eggs (the first was born in early May.) I think they still have a fledgling around helping them., but I'm not 100% sure.

Ironically, Kathy at Skippy's Vegetable Garden blogged about the bluebirds at her community garden today too. She has a link to a great Web site where I learned that if I had cleaned the first nest out of the house they may have rebuilt sooner.

This afternoon, I worked outside on the screened porch much to the dismay of the local birds. My worktable is right next to the mahonia with their fully ripened berries. A variety of birds would fly pell mell towards the shrubs, sense me and make sharper u-turns than I make with my Civic on my best day, heading in the opposite direction at an even faster speed than they arrived. Sometimes there were several of them flying in at a time as if they were playing tag. Occasionally, I stopped typing long enough that they felt comfortable eating a berry or two. but that never lasted long. One bird actually hit the screen in its excitement.
They all headed for the hills though when a group of crows arrived. They must have known what I only just learned a group of crows is called a murder. Ominous isn't it? They were huge so it's no wonder the smaller birds fled. Here's a picture I took of one of them in the bird tree. It's through the screen so it's not very good I'm afraid.


No comments: