Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Eat More Dirt by Ellen Sandbeck

The subtitle here is "Diverting and Instructive Tips for Growing and Tending an Organic Garden" which pretty accurately describes the book. This is a quick read because most entries are short, some only a paragraph long, and the longest are only a page or two. The organic gardening information was fine, but not my favorite part. That honor belongs instead to the chapters on tools and gardening as exercise. Sandbeck revolutionized how I will use my pruners from here on out. No longer, will I crouch to one side of a sapling, supporting the pruners against my chest and pulling as if on an oar. Instead I will use them as if they were a thighmaster! She suggests crouching in front, pruners between your knees, arms inside them. You then use your thighs (and arms) to close the pruners. I tried it and it worked! Once I got the awkwardness of the position down (knees wide) I could feel the burn AND it was much easier for me to use this tool!

No comments: